Today we are focusing on what to do when we are lied to by someone we care about. We will Aspire and Reach for More in our emotions by not accepting lies. Lets look at what it feels like to be lied to and how do most people respond. When you know someone is lying to you, the first question is why. We will cover what some reasons might be and how you can respond to this.
The emotions experienced can be the following:
· Feeling betrayed
· Unsure about the closeness of the relationship
· Angry because trust was violated
· Disrespected by the person choosing to lie
What is your typical response?
· Do you speak up and ask questions, clarify?
· Do you accuse of lying and never believe them again?
· Do you accept it and hope there are no more lies?
· Understanding what are the motivations.
Why would someone lie to you?
· Lying to get what they want from you
· Caring more about their needs than your needs
· Trying to manipulate your decision or the outcome of situation
· The truth is subjective to them and they choose to not see it as a lie
What can you do? Create an atmosphere for open communication and remain respectful even when you disagree. Allow your friends and loved ones to tell you the truth without reacting negatively. Ask questions if you feel like someone is lying to you. Trust your instinct and verify with facts. Be clear about your boundaries and what you will not accept in relationships.
All Our Links:
This website is in no way intended as a substitute for medical or psychological counseling. If expert assistance or counseling is needed, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
Copyright 2022 Aspire and Reach for More, LLC